Followers

Sunday, 20 November 2011

Medieval Livery Cupboard.

Finally complete this is my personal version of a livery cupboard which dates to around 1650. The timber used to create this piece is English Oak and dates to around 1630 and was acquired from a house undergoing renovations.


I decided from the start that i wanted to included some draws in the construction these would maybe have been used for holding spices or expensive ingredients for that period. The inside of the cupboard has been hand painted in a yellow orhre paint which also would have been accurate for that period.


Solid brass butterfly hinges hold the front doors in place and the whole piece is held together with wooden dowels the cupboard door knobs are individually hand carved from the same timber. This piece of work like all of my others is unique in that another will not be made in the same design.


Its been a great piece to make and i have enjoyed sharing the development of the piece with everyone.


I would also like to welcome all of my new followers, i was a little surprised to say the least when i saw how many i now have, many thanks for taking the time to view my blog and follow my work.

There's still 6 days remaining until my giveaway ends so if you wish to be entered for a chance to win just leave a comment on why you would like to own this particular piece of work, you never know you could be lucky!

Have a great week everyone       Tony.

                                                SOLD

14 comments:

  1. Oh WOW, Tony, it turned out really well, any Tudor Lord would have been proud to display such a fine piece of furniture in his house, it is a masterpiece!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it, I should have said Jacobean, I guess the Tudor age ended in 1603 with Elizabeth I's death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful!!!
    The carved doors are really stunning.
    What can you make wonderful things.
    The whole idea behind the cabinet and the era of the wood makes it for me a masterpiece.
    I thought it was fun to follow the developments of the cupboard.
    It was fun thinking along with you, about the doorknobs.
    I look forward to follow a lot of your work in the future.
    Do you show your work sometimes?

    A very nice Sunday and thanks for sharing so much beauty with us.

    Best regards, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece is magnificent. I adore it. Congratulations on producing something so exquisite

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice piece and looks soooo Tudor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony, Your work is AMAZING! To build it with such fine details as pegged construction is really inspiring! Did you carve the tracery in the doors? It is just Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow! I love this.

    And Daydreamer, I'd guess that the tracery is the same as the panels Angela Downton sells on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks Elga indeed you are correct the Tudor period did come to an end in 1603 so yes this could be classed as a Jacobean piece.

    Thank you for you comment to Alexander its always a pleasure to share my work and its progress with all my followers, as for showing my work i have not as yet put any of my work on display to the public only through my blog but who knows what the future may hold!

    Many thanks too Natalie and Victoria also Miniatures by Natalie your comments are much appreciated.

    Daydreamer, i tend to use pegged construction on most of the piece i make, the carved centre panels as Alennka said are the same as the ones that Angela Downton sells with the exception of these being cut in 1/16 wood instead of 1/32.

    Alennka, many thanks for your comment to :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done a really great job with this cupboard. Your work is fantastic.
    Hugs from Craftland

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is such a little masterpiece! I still can't get over the fact that it is even POSSIBLE to make a little piece of furniture with such historical material and with such detail. I enjoyed seeing its development. Any crafter has already 10 new projects lined up in their head as they work on the current one, and I cannot wait to see what you will work on next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Es cierto que haces verdaderos tesoros...Felicidades.
    Mil besos...Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful piece this is - I'm not surprised to see it's now sold. Everyone of your items is a little gem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful and original!
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete