Followers

Saturday, 31 March 2012

The Cobblers Shop.

This week has been exceptionally busy for me but i have managed to construct the footings and floor for my very first build. As mentioned in my previous post i have decided to construct the cobblers shop in 1/24th scale as opposed to 1/12th the main reason for this is at the moment i am limited to the amount of old oak timber i can lay my hands on and constructing it in 1/12th scale would use a considerable amount.


All the floor boards were cut individually and sit on a framework of oak joists which are then surrounded around the edge with Cotswold stone each floorboard is fixed into place with tiny dowels i used a total of 129 boards and over 500 dowels to fix them in place then just treated the floor with bee's wax. Its not perfect by no means but that's the way i like it, they look like battered and bruised boards which have been sitting there for the past couple of hundred years. I spent a day last week visiting a local property that was built in the 1600s looking at and measuring floorboards and measuring the stone work foundation that the house sits on.



This wont be a quick build its mainly something for me to do when I'm not making furniture, in saying that though its something I've wanted to do for sometime now and thought it was about time i started it. I have no idea how its going to turn out although the basic plan of the ground floor is firmly stuck in my head and as the building grows other ideas and thoughts will probably creep in so I'm keeping open minded. I will also be making most of the furniture and other accessories for the shop so its kept in line with the period.
The building itself will be Tudor but the shop and all the contents will date from around 1850 as this is the time period that the cobblers shop my farther served his apprenticeship with was established.
I'm looking forward to this build and I'm sure that i shall come across many problems and dilemma's but half the fun is working around these and solving them.
A warm welcome to my new followers, many thanks for taking the time to read my journal and take an interest in what i make.
Have a great weekend everyone.

14 comments:

  1. This will be an exciting project from you! I look forward to watching the progress and looking at all of the photos. I love the stone work around the base!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty, i look forward to sharing the progress.

      Delete
  2. It looks very nice.
    The colour differences in the wood are nicely and give a lived effect.
    I myself am working on my wooden floor in the hall.
    I also have documentation wanted regarding wooden floors from the 16 and 17th century and there you will see back, that they were not so meticulous with the dimensions of the floor boards.
    Very nice that I see your work differently back.
    Very nicely.
    I find the color differences also wonderful.
    It looks pretty old and lived.

    Greetings, Alexandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra, Its very true that during the 16th and 17th centuries floor boards were not all the same size, the ones i measured varied between 6 and 18 inches some were held down with very large square head nails and others especially the larger ones had 1 inch dowels holding them in place, i will try to obtain some images of these if the owner permits!

      Delete
  3. What fun and good work too!

    Did you take photos of that 1600's house and what were the measurements? I would be thrilled if you would share photos and the details of that building with us. Some folks might be bored with photos and the measurements of floors and foundation stones but being a crazy person I get truly excited by them. If I could I would spend the rest of my life wandering around old buildings taking photos of them. Also wandering around Europe in the museums. Of course that would leave no time for making things ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin, I'm hoping to obtain some images of the floors and other amazing details if the owner permits me to as this is there private residence, the floor boards i measured varied quite a lot from 6 inches up to a staggering 18 inches and as i mentioned to Alexandra some were held down by square head nails and others by large wooden dowels the depth of these boards is equally amazing 1 inch to 1.5 inches. I'm hoping to make another appointment sometime soon with the owner and hopefully post some interior images.

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous, and all the work you put into the assembly is remarkable! Take your time, I'm sure we all want to savor the details with you. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Brae, i have to say i really enjoyed working on the floor and im sure the rest will be just as exciting.

      Delete
  5. i love the floor Tony, its very realistic, and i love the worn out look of it too, the cobbled wall if also fab, this will definitely be a great project to watch come to life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sal.. it took a while to cut everything but once i had it came together rather quickly, the floor boards were actually cut from an old section of Oak panelling which i have been saving this helped as it is roughly the same thickness and gave me the look i wanted.

      Delete
  6. This is going to be great fun to watch you build. I love the floor and the fact that you pegged every board and just waxed the finished floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great project. I'm looking forward to the next steps :)
    The floor is very pretty. So much work.
    Hugs from Craftland

    ReplyDelete
  8. This floor is perfect I'm curios to see the project made.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  9. The floor looks completely amazing, I can't see what builds up around it!!!

    ReplyDelete