Followers

Saturday, 7 April 2012

Construction Begins.

Ive managed to construct my first wall section this week, although it doesn't look like much it contains a fair few hours of work as you will see.
Ive decided to construct all of the walls in sections so adding the wattle and daub will make things a little easier for me. Wattle and Daub or cob is also known by other various names and is the infilled material between the wooden timbers of many Tudor houses and is basically a ''mud pie'' made from various ingredients.


As you can see from the image above i have created the wattle from tiny pieces of oak this is what the daub is then applied to which keeps the building dry and windproof.



Its taken me around a week to construct this one piece of wall but I'm pleased how it turned out. I'm unsure yet if i want to apply a coat of wax to the oak timbers or just leave them the way they are.


I'm also unsure yet if i want to leave the daub the colour you see here or maybe paint it a more earthy colour. I have seen various houses around the area i live with different coloured daubs some of which look quite nice. In Tudor times daub could be coloured with various ingredients including pigs blood which gives a unusual pink finish, Yellow Orche, and any other natural ingredients found in nature.
I have to admit i am eager to complete the lower level! and start working on the inside.
I was also amazed to find out last week that i had won some fantastic gifts from Pepper at http://mitchymoominiatures.blogspot.co.uk/  Please check out her blog if you haven't already done so I'm sure you wont be disappointed!!


I was truly amazed by the quality of these miniature pieces and will treasure them! Many thanks pepper for giving not just me but so many people the opportunity to win so many fabulous prizes.
And on a final note id like to welcome my new followers and also thank them for taking and interest in my work and journal.
Have a great weekend everyone and Happy Easter.

20 comments:

  1. I'm curios to see the progress of your work.
    You have won fantastic miniatures.
    Happy Easter to you and your family.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Tony! Your attention to details is amazing on the wall! Can't wait to see more of your progress! Congrats to your prize winning and Happy easter! xoxo, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're off to an excellent start. The wall looks really good and well worth the time and care taken.

    Congratulations on your win, these little miniatures are marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beginning looks very nice.
    The stones are well managed and of course, the wood is so beautiful.

    Congratulations on your give away that you have won.
    The magnifying glass is fun.

    I wish you a very happy Easter.

    Greetings, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra Ive been saving this wood for a while now and couldnt think of anything better to use it on.

      Delete
  5. Congratulation to your wonderful win. Enjoy.
    The beginning is so beautiful. I'll come back and see the next steps.

    Hugs from Craftland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tony, congratulations on your amazing win from Pepper! I also was one of the lucky winners! I have not hear from her yet.
    You have made a good start with one of the walls, it is beautiful. It is a lot of work, but you make it realistic I know, because you are the master ;)!!
    Happy Easter to you and your family, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona the prizes from Pepper were fantastic! congratulations on you being picked too, Making it realistic poses some problems but i guess when they built the life size versions they had many problems too!! :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the win, Pepper really was giving away lovely stuff!!!

    I'm loving how this house is turning out so far... I still really love the base for it. I love watching your projects progress!!

    Also, did you ever get my photographs? I sent them a while ago, but it seems not everyone is getting my emails when I attach images to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heather :) your photographs arrived safely!

      Delete
  8. I just LOVE that you are constructing your cobblers shop this way! You have not told us what material you are using for the daub. It looks FANTASTIC!!! I am really excited and I am going to LOVE seeing your progress!
    you might like to look though the 2010 posts by Karin Corbin. http://karincorbin.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=28
    She uses two different materials for daub. That way when she ages the building you see a different textures. The first coat of daub has a rougher texture than the smoother top coat.
    BTW... If you ever need any paper thin leather ( I am thinking about shoes) leave me a message on my blog. Catherine XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, i experimented with various materials for the Daub some more suitable than others, In the end i settled for a mix of chalk powder mixed with pva this enables me to mix the consistency that i like and works best.
      As for your offer for some paper thin leather id be more than happy to accept some, i have already acquired some pieces but these are not quite thin enough. Many thanks :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! This is amazing! Please do share more pictures of your work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minnie Kitchen, and welcome to my Blog :) More photos will be coming shortly.

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I am so happy to have found your blog. I can't wait to see more of your work and I admire the techniques you are using.
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Giac, I've also enjoyed reading your blog too, you have created some fine pieces and the house is fabulous :)

      Delete