Followers

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Productive Week

This week has been quite productive in terms of miniatures Firstly I've managed to complete another wall section of the cobblers shop along with the staircase, I'm unsure at the moment if i will be adding a handrail as not all buildings of this period had them fitted.


Instead of panelling the interior section of new wall i decided to fix Oak boards which were more common in a workshop The photo below shows boards that were taken out of a wool merchants.


I used a combination of Bee's Wax mixed together with Turpentine to create a smooth paste which then gives the timber a natural shine.


The exterior timber i have left untreated as this gives a more aged look, also in the above photo you can see the top section of the oak boards which have been cut out ready to accept the ceiling timbers.
Ive also given the floor a few more coats of bee's wax and turpentine to bring in the colour more with the walls.



Ive spent a few hours cutting up some natural Cotswold stone ready to construct the centre wall which will contain the fire place to.




I'm also at the moment working on two separate pieces of work, one a commission that i shall reveal more about soon the other is a ladies perfume casket made from ivory and horn.





I particularly like the last photo and the contrast between the red glass and the outer case,the casket I'm making will contain 3 perfume bottles.
Id also like to welcome my new followers and thank you for taking an interest in my journal/blog.
Have a great week everyone and stay tuned for more updates.


20 comments:

  1. Hi Tony! You've done a lot of work for the cobbler shop last week! The staircase looks good, but a railing? I really don't know if they had railings at that period. I like everything I see of your work till now, I follow the progress, Tony.
    I adore the ladies perfumcasket you've made, particularly the last one, for me too :)
    Have a great week. Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Cobbler's shop looks really great so far. I look forward to you perfume casket, I am sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Cobbler's shop looks wonderful. I like the staircase and ladies perfume casket are fabulous.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cobblers shop is looking so good - you're going great guns!
    Enjoy your time with this project! Cheers - Lidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lidi, im enjoying every minute creating the cobblers shop, i have very faint memories of visiting this shop when i was a child with my farther and its such fun rekindling those and trying to remember how it used to be.

      Delete
  5. The shop is looking spectacular... and the perfume pieces are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shop is coming together nicely. And I'm really excited to see where the journey with the perfume case will take you. New ideas are always so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Iris, Indeed its always exciting to bring new ideas to life.

      Delete
  7. You're really motoring with this - I love it and the little caskets are wonderful - I really like the last photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tony,
    Aside from loving your project, I have to say your work is amongst the most inspirational I've seen. It's a pleasure and a priviledge to follow your work.
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Giac thats a wonderful comment especially as this is my first ever build! i also find your work some of the most inspirational i have seen. :)

      Delete
  9. Hey tony,
    What a beautiful pictures of your building work.
    It looks really good.
    I'm fond of the old look of the floor and the beautiful staircase.
    I like your ingenuity admirable
    I am impressed by what you can make.(I always say this,haha)
    The small cotswold stones are great.
    Fine evening, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alexandra, i also enjoy following your project build its always great to watch other peoples styles and ideas :)

      Delete
  10. The shop is looking so wonderful Tony! As a wood lover I always like to see wooden walls and floors, it gives a room such a wonderful feel. I love that wall with the door in it and the big oak boards!
    I also really like how you are using real cotswolds stone and are cutting it up into miniature slabs. What are you cutting the stone with?
    The boxes are very pretty, I look forward to seeing what you're miniature versions will be like. (Gorgeous as usual probably).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you josje, the cotswold stone i have cut with a industrial tile cutter which has a diamond tip blade so it cuts through it like butter.

      Delete