Followers

Sunday, 16 December 2012

New Supplies.

Ive been waiting for material supplies to start a couple of new projects which Ive had in mind for a while.After receiving from a friend a good stock of Ivory piano keys i decided to start making some tiny pieces that will fit inside one of the pieces i am making.


Its always a great feeling to get my hands on new stocks of these, as indeed they are not a common sight any more, the piano these were removed from was constructed around 1880 and would have cost a substantial amount of money at that time, i guess its lucky for me that people continue to have these restored!
One of the new pieces i am working on will be a ladies vanity box, I am still waiting for certain materials for this piece including some shagreen which if appropriate will be used to decorate the inside. Mean while i have started working on some of the items that will grace the inside.

 
To give you an idea of scale i have placed one of the  pieces i have carved inside one of my wife's rings. I find it easier to make the actual box once all the pieces for the inside are made rather than construct the box then make everything fit after. I'm not quite sure yet if this piece will be finished for this year or if it will be my first piece of 2013, either way i will show the various steps of progression as they continue to happen, with Christmas just over a week away i am certainly as im sure most of you are looking forward to taking a break from work spending some quality time with family and friends and getting some time to be creative!
Have a great week everyone.       Tony.

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This photo with the ring really shows a scale best. Can't wait to see it ready! But in the meantime you have a greak week too, Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, I'll wait and see :D!! The ring of your wife is gorgeous, did you made it too?
    Have a great week too. Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona, Many thanks for your comment, the ring once belonged to my mother and was passed down to my wife :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Tony,
    I can't wait to see your next masterpieces!
    Have a great week, and my best to your daughter and the new baby!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Giac ;) Your comment is much appreciated, best wishes to you and your family :)

      Delete
  4. I am really looking forward to this piece. I can't imagine carving somthing so small.

    I have several ivory piano keys. I haven't made anything out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, i have to addmit i do sometimes break or snap them but never the less i still find it quite relaxing, you should prize your ivory piano keys they are becoming more and more difficult to get hold of :)

      Delete
  5. Ok Tony,you are tantalizing us!
    Don't hurry,take your time,enjoy your family and then... please,show to us your new fabulous piece.
    Best wishes to you and your family
    Rosanna
    PS your ivory box is ALWAYS in front of me on my desk,cannot really close it somewhere,I need to see it on daily basis :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosanna, Thats a wonderful comment about the ivory box it always puts a smile on my face to know that you like that piece of work so much, indeed it was and still is a pleasure knowing it went to a wonderful home :)
      Best wishes to you and all your family too :)

      Delete
  6. Two of my favourite materials, ivory and shagreen... Can't wait to see what you make with it.
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly a happy christmas to you to Jose :)
      Im hoping the shagreen i have is not to thick for what i need it for it is as you say a beautiful material and one which i am yet to introduce to a miniature, fingers crossed this will be the piece ;) Best wishes

      Delete