Followers

Thursday, 27 December 2012

Progress.

Its been a rather strange Christmas in our household this year, my wife had to work Christmas day so opening presents was postponed until late afternoon, we also decided to have our Christmas lunch on boxing day as this was more practical and meant that we could relax and spend time with family.
I have managed to catch a few hours here and there and concentrate on the ladies vanity box that i have started working on.


The main carcass of the box is constructed from English walnut, this is then edged off with the recycled ivory piano keys i posted about in an earlier post, The open panels are then veneered in English walnut burr this will also be used for the lid and draw fronts once complete.

 


Inside the box there are five tiny compartments, two of these will be used to hold perfume bottles while the other three I'm not sure about yet, these have ivory lids with tiny handmade brass handles.
The draws once complete will hold other implements and hopefully a hairbrush and hand mirror.
This will now definitely be my first piece of 2013, I've not put a time estimate on its completion but with all the accessories that need to be made its safe to say it wont be completed before the end of this year.I look forward to sharing more progress on this piece.
Its also been nice to get my PC up and running again and take the time to browse all the other blogs which i follow with great interest, i think everyone would agree that 2012 has seen some amazing miniature creations all around the world and i have to say its been fantastic to read and watch how many have developed into miniature masterpieces .
Have a great week everyone.  Tony.

14 comments:

  1. Last year I was on-call during Christmas and had to stay home. It was terrible, so I feel for your wife. Although I'm glad you two still had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, i have to say christmas day did feel rather strange, but we had quality time the following day :)

      Delete
  2. This piece is sure on the way to being a miniature master piece. I love it already. I am very excited to see the hand mirror and brush. I am sure whatever else you add will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Catherine, Im looking forward to adding all the accesories to, i think they will finish the piece off just right.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tony, our Christmas was rather strange for me, too. But in other form,because it was very quiet. I'm inured to a loud and busy celebration with four children. This year I felt,that they are no more children. All the hectic around the Christmas tree with gifts and other things was very calm. So after a the celebration on 24th everything was going his normal way and I worked in miniature.
    I agree with you, many wonderful things newly formed in 2012 , which is a pleasurable must to hold up our hobby interesting. Now to see your first new miniature for 2013 is a sign,that this will be continued . And you do this with brilliance !!! I'm looking forward to see the vanity box finished, which looks very classy and elegant. I love it already now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannette,
      Indeed christmas morning was very quite for me too, very different to how it used to be when all of my children lived at home!
      I look forward to seeing so many new miniatures in 2013 including the ones you create.
      Best wishes for the New Year Tony.

      Delete
  4. Very cool, can't wait to see more---

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic!
    Happy 2013!!
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Faiola :)
      Best wishes for 2013 to you too.

      Delete
  6. Va a ser una obra de arte, Tony, y espero impaciente ver ese espejo y el cepillo, serán una maravilla...Feliz Año Nuevo 2013 para ti y tu familia...
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Tony! I love the combination of the different materials, the contrast between the dark wood and white ivory. I look forward to seeing what you will line the drawers with now that the shagreen is so difficult to work with.

    I have loved following your work on your blog this year and hope you will show us many more wonderful projects in the next year.
    Best wishes for 2013!
    ~Josje~

    ReplyDelete