Followers

Sunday, 29 April 2012

Cobblers Shop Progress.

This week has seen the construction of the main fire place wall and fire surround complete with the range. Its been quite tedious work as i had to cut all the individual blocks that make up the wall first then actually build the design.


The range is a phoenix kit in 1/24th that i had to construct and paint but fits perfectly with everything else.


I decided to render the wall as opposed to leaving it just stone as i prefer the look this gives and it also saved me a fair amount of time being neat with the mortar course.


The opening to the left of the range will be a place to store logs which i intend to half fill.
Now that i have constructed this wall this enables me to start designing the shop display shelving and arrange it for the best fit possible on the other side, once i have built all of the shop display then i can continue with construction of the main shop wall which will have the main window.
Because I'm working in 1/24th i have decided to add all or most of the accessories on the lower level before i move onto the upper level for easy access and also for fitting the lighting system.
Id like to welcome my new followers and thank you for taking an interest in my work, its hard to believe that i have nearly reached 200 followers, it also sounds a great opportunity for another giveaway! plus it will be a year in June since i first set up my blog so that's another good reason stay tuned for more info on this.
Have a great and safe week everyone :)

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Productive Week

This week has been quite productive in terms of miniatures Firstly I've managed to complete another wall section of the cobblers shop along with the staircase, I'm unsure at the moment if i will be adding a handrail as not all buildings of this period had them fitted.


Instead of panelling the interior section of new wall i decided to fix Oak boards which were more common in a workshop The photo below shows boards that were taken out of a wool merchants.


I used a combination of Bee's Wax mixed together with Turpentine to create a smooth paste which then gives the timber a natural shine.


The exterior timber i have left untreated as this gives a more aged look, also in the above photo you can see the top section of the oak boards which have been cut out ready to accept the ceiling timbers.
Ive also given the floor a few more coats of bee's wax and turpentine to bring in the colour more with the walls.



Ive spent a few hours cutting up some natural Cotswold stone ready to construct the centre wall which will contain the fire place to.




I'm also at the moment working on two separate pieces of work, one a commission that i shall reveal more about soon the other is a ladies perfume casket made from ivory and horn.





I particularly like the last photo and the contrast between the red glass and the outer case,the casket I'm making will contain 3 perfume bottles.
Id also like to welcome my new followers and thank you for taking an interest in my journal/blog.
Have a great week everyone and stay tuned for more updates.


Saturday, 7 April 2012

Construction Begins.

Ive managed to construct my first wall section this week, although it doesn't look like much it contains a fair few hours of work as you will see.
Ive decided to construct all of the walls in sections so adding the wattle and daub will make things a little easier for me. Wattle and Daub or cob is also known by other various names and is the infilled material between the wooden timbers of many Tudor houses and is basically a ''mud pie'' made from various ingredients.


As you can see from the image above i have created the wattle from tiny pieces of oak this is what the daub is then applied to which keeps the building dry and windproof.



Its taken me around a week to construct this one piece of wall but I'm pleased how it turned out. I'm unsure yet if i want to apply a coat of wax to the oak timbers or just leave them the way they are.


I'm also unsure yet if i want to leave the daub the colour you see here or maybe paint it a more earthy colour. I have seen various houses around the area i live with different coloured daubs some of which look quite nice. In Tudor times daub could be coloured with various ingredients including pigs blood which gives a unusual pink finish, Yellow Orche, and any other natural ingredients found in nature.
I have to admit i am eager to complete the lower level! and start working on the inside.
I was also amazed to find out last week that i had won some fantastic gifts from Pepper at http://mitchymoominiatures.blogspot.co.uk/  Please check out her blog if you haven't already done so I'm sure you wont be disappointed!!


I was truly amazed by the quality of these miniature pieces and will treasure them! Many thanks pepper for giving not just me but so many people the opportunity to win so many fabulous prizes.
And on a final note id like to welcome my new followers and also thank them for taking and interest in my work and journal.
Have a great weekend everyone and Happy Easter.