Followers

Sunday, 24 March 2013

Miniature Antiquities.

The past few days have been quite different for me in more ways than one, Firstly i spent the whole of Wednesday in hospital in excruciating back pain only to be diagnosed as having a partial slipped disk unknown to me i had caused this four hours earlier and carried on working until i had to be carried out of work by an ambulance crew! i have to say its not been easy at all, completing simple tasks has now become very difficult to the point of needing help to get dressed, plus i have my regular work calling me everyday to go back as i was in the middle of completing a very important defence contract! this makes me quite angry as i have only been absent from work for three weeks in the last 30 years of which i was also hospitalised! OK that's my little moan over, onto miniatures.

As mentioned last week i told you that i was going to make a cabinet for the tiny bronze figure that i discovered while metal detecting.

 
Quite a lot of high status homes from the 18th century onwards would have collections of antiquities and rare objects as a way of not only showing off there wealth but also providing a great conversational topic while entertaining guests.
 
 
          This complete piece stands just under 5'' tall and also has a tiny draw built into the bottom.
 
 
 
The back of the cabinet has my own makers label along with a description of what the cabinet holds inside and where it was discovered.
 




This close up view gives a slightly better glimpse of the actual figure behind the real glass panels, i have found that if you study the piece carefully you can actually start to make out eyes and various other parts of the body, a truly amazing little object to have in a period collection or wunderkammer.
Completing this was a little more difficult than anticipated due to my condition, but i tend to find the pain easier when I'm stood up rather than sitting down, I'm hoping this situation wont last to long as its already driving me nuts (pardon the pun)
This piece of work will be available on my for sale page.
Just a reminder also that there is still time to enter my giveaway for the tiny watercolour.
Have a great and safe week everyone.    Tony


 


20 comments:

  1. Oh, so sorry to hear about your health. Get well soon! The cabinet is as usual fantastic!
    Have a great and healthy week!
    Big hug
    Ewa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ewa :) you have a great week too.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your health condition, I wish you get well very soon!!! some years ago I broke some of my back vertebra and I lived in my bed for almost more than a half year...so I know how it is to be depended on others... The piece of art you made again is just amazing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sab, i cant imagine how difficult it must have been for you with your injury! at least i am semi mobile and it just takes me a little longer to get around.Have a great week :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it!!!
    Sorry about your back---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, Hopefully the back will mend with rest.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your health problems, Tony, I hope you'll recover soon. To stand is always much easier then to sit, if someone has spine problems.
    The piece you show to us is beautiful as usual!
    Take care for yourself, Tony. Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better soon, Tony. While we all love your work (that figure looks like a 1:1 statue in a museum display case!), obviously your health is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it is difficult to take it easy as im usually always very busy,working on small easy projects will hopefully take my mind of the pain a little and keep me occupied.The little figure is quite amazing isnt it, its so small i almost threw it away as it was difficult at first to make out what it was. Have a great week.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your back, Tony. Is it from working too long on minis? I have been getting quite bad back pains too (bad by my standard as I hardly suffer from backache).

    The little cabinet is just perfect for the sculpture. I am sure it will go to a very good home.

    Get well soon! You had better rest from minis for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sans, the injury to my back was caused by lifting something a little heavier than i should have attempted by myself unfortunatly because of the situation i was in i had no choice.You should have your back checked out if you dont normally suffer with it just for peace of mind! Hopefully working on a few easy projects will keep my mind occupied.
      Have a great week :)

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill... I've had pneumonia for the last month, so I feel for ya :(

    Of course, your work is as wonderful as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,so sorry to hear you have been quite poorly, i hope your now on the mend! have a great week :)

      Delete
  8. Another marvellous piece. I do like the cabinet you have set it in too.

    I also hope your back doesn't take too long to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, Im sure with a couple of weeks to rest it will be back to normal,fingers crossed! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  9. Another really good piece! I hope that you are feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris, Im sure with a couple of weeks rest i'll be back to normal,glad you like the piece.
      Have a great week :)

      Delete
  10. Ouch, I hope your back is better soon!

    What a wonderful find, I like the way you are displaying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Tony,
    I am sorry about your back. i know how painful that can be.
    The cabinet is, as usual stunning! i treally compliments and showcases the figure beautifully. Great work. Take it easy and get better soon.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete