Followers

Friday, 1 May 2015

A work in progress

Remember i mentioned a couple of posts back about a larger project i was working on, well heres a short glimpse of what it is, i've always fancied making a larger casket from ivory but i've had to wait until i had enough to carry it through.

 
Its been difficult at times making this piece as all the recess and carving i've done with files only the reason being i wanted it to look reasonably authentic as caskets of this period would have looked but also because i've been taking this piece to work with me in a small wooden box complete with my tools and working on it in my dinner break, theres still a lot more to do on it yet including adding hinges polishing and then decorating the inside it measures 2.25'' in width x 1.5'' in depth the height is also 1.5''. I'm not sure yet what it will hold maybe a bible or some other treasure but i'll keep you updated with more photos as it progresses.
Have a great Long and safe weekend everyone.  Tony.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Tony! I love this one. I can't wait to see it finished. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine i kinda like it to.. maybe one for my personal collection?

      Delete
  2. Ha! Before I even got to the bit where you mention putting a Bible in it, I thought that the box looks like something which the Vatican has squirreled away amongst their many treasures kept behind closed doors. Very exciting project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..your not the first person to say that Iris..i do like this piece and it has a wonderful feel to it i shall have to think quite carefully about what goes inside :)

      Delete
  3. Wow lots of beautiful carving there. Love this box---

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tony- this one is so interesting! Lots of ways to go with it. So far- beautiful! Barbara Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so beautiful! I can't wait to see what you put inside! Congratulations again for your wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comment Miriam ☺

      Delete
  6. A beautiful piece. For some reason it reminds me of St Mark's square in Venice. I look forward to seeing its progress and seeing what treasure it will contain.

    ReplyDelete