Followers

Sunday, 25 October 2015

Slow Progress.

Hi everyone, well progress has been slow on the commissioned piece I'm currently working on due to the fact i have been busy with real life  issues plus the fact i have been working away from home.
What little i have achieved has started to give the piece form and shape and hopefully over the next few weeks i will start to apply the 24ct gold gilding, i have decided to try this having never really tried it before on something this small so I'm kind of expecting to come across some problems.


All the wood has been undercoated using a flat red primer this will give the gold leaf a beautiful deep colour.


Now to apply the leaf, I'm using a water based size to fix the leaf so the whole cabinet will have to be coated with this in separate stages as to make sure the whole surface is covered, I've only really used gold leaf on large projects in the past so I'm guessing this will be a learning curve for me too.
Have a great weekend everyone  Tony.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tony! It is looking Gorgeous! Now I can't wait to see it with the Gold leaf applied! You are very brave! I hope to learn to apply gold leaf some day..... one of the many things on my list! Good luck and I hope all the RL work doesn't interfere with your creative time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking really great - thanks for the update on your wonderful work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is not any easy shape to put together! I have always wondered about the red color underneath gold leaf, and now I now. Gold leaf can sometimes fight you like it's your bratty little brother, so I wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting, it's coming along nicely. Thanks for showing us, I love to watch work in progress---

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's coming together nicely Tony! Too bad you have little time for it, hopefully more soon! Good luck with the gilding, I think it's an advantage you've done it before, that probably helps, albeit you haven't done it in this scale, but you're a quick learner from what I've gathered ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really interesting and I'm sure the gold leaf will work well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Tony! You are a true artist! The best thing I find about using gold leaf is that you can do,paint effects over it, rub off, and then reveal the gold underneath. I'm sure you'll do a great job.
    Si

    ReplyDelete