Followers

Sunday, 11 February 2018

Lighting

Hi everyone, well this week has been full of trials and errors trying to come to a conclusion on how to make the lights for this house, I started off trying to carve candle sticks but to no avail as each time i tried to drill a hole through the centre they just broke!! Hmm Theres very few things i have had to buy in the construction of the house up to now and i was determined to be able to come up with a solution for the lights as knowing that i had managed to make these too would give me an even greater sense of achievement. As i dont own a lathe i just came up with the idea of trying my luck turning a piece of wood in a normal drill, i dont recommend anyone try this!  after a few attempts i came out with these.

These are the first i feel happy enough to be able to work with, they are made from wood but i have painted them to resemble pewter ( this still needs work) Each candle stick measures just 6mm in height and i have managed to bore them out to accept a nano LED bulb, i have chosen to go with LEDs for two reasons the first being the scale of them and the second being how long they last this will rule out any need for changing bulbs in the future Hopefully next week i will have some actually in the candle sticks to show you how they look. Have a great week everyone. Tony.

8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine trying to turn something just using a drill. I think they look great. Have you thought about fabricating some out of metal? You could soft solder them together. I sometimes hold small parts with a damp paper towel. That way I can solder them while I hold them in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine, yes it was a little wobbly at times lol and took a while to get right, to be honest ive sat down and thought hard about how to make these but theres just no easy solution because of the size of them,i even thought about casting some but the time and effort id have to put into making a mould and then getting it right put me off a little, im sure i'll overcome this tiny obstacle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really great, especially knowing that they were made using a drill! And 6mm is way too small. I tend to go with polymer clay in those cases. For candles I can think of polymer clay that would work. One could roll some around a metal wire and harden it in the oven. As the polymer won't stick to the metal of the wire, it should be easy to pull the wire out once done and to insert then a grain of rice bulb for example in the polymer (tube) candle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susi, they dont look bad but, lol im sure i can do better im just waiting for the light bulb moment in my head..ive never tried polymer clay before ive used milliput which is an epoxy based putty Hmm i usually move onto something else at the point i get stuck for ideas but i really need to start installing lights before i can do anything else, maybe its time to have a go with the polymer clay ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow I really like them, very cool that you used a drill. I messed around with that once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, its not the best solution as you cant repeat the process which means every one would be slightly different,just need to put my thinking cap on and see if i can come up with something a little better :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Tony! I think your versions look awesome! Lighting in that era was Primitive... candles stuck on a nail sometimes sufficed... and lanterns which you can fabricate from cardboard and paint to look metallic or horn-like. I have used polymer clay... specifically "sculpey" for the candles in my Castle Chapel. I baked the wires into the clay (removing the bulb before baking!) And I used ornate beads glued together to make "torcheres" for the walls of the Great Hall. I am sure your candles will look perfect when you get the light installed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Betsy, im sure once i have played around with the lights i will hit on something im happy with. :)

    ReplyDelete